Sunday, September 2, 2012

My Third Week Has Come and Gone!

My third week in Brazil is officially over, and I've had such an amazing time in Brazil thus far! I have gone out to parties, gone to the beach, and yesterday, I biked around Lagoa (the lake, 8 km around) for the first time. This week, I attended a Portuguese course, from Tuesday to Friday, 9-3:30. I attended it with another American girl, and a girl from Denmark. After the course, I went home and then went to volleyball on the beach, from 5-7, which I do Monday - Friday every week.

Some simple volleyball words:

  • Passou 
    • Used when the ball comes over the net before the third touch, we say "it's over!"
  • Foi mau! 
    • I'm sorry, or that was bad, if someone makes a mistake
  • Boa (or boa bola)
    • Good, good ball, when someone makes a nice hit or a nice point, or in sarcasm, if they make a very stupid mistake
  • Vai vai vai vai vai!!! 
    • Go go go go go! The little kids aren't very motivated to move towards the balls, a lot of times
  • Levantar
    • To set
  • Manchete
    • To pass
  • Sacar
    • To serve
My Portuguese course was in downtown Rio, or Rio Centro, and I took the Metro there every day. It is a very nice, historic part of Rio, and everything is very old there (relative to other parts of Brazil). 

On Friday all of the exchange students had a mandatory Orientation in Rio Centro, so we got to meet each other and spend time together... listening to our YEP Chairman talk about the rules and homesickness and such. 

So far in our district we have: 
  1. Matilde - Dinamarca - Living in Petrópolis
  2. Mathilde - Bélgica -  Living in Petrópolis
  3. Peter - Alemanha -  Living in Rio
  4. Leandra - Suíça  -  Living in Petrópolis
  5. Kathryn - Estados Unidos  -  Living in Campo Grande
  6. Nina - Estados Unidos  -  Living in Rio
  7. Tellie - Estados Unidos  -  Living in Rio
  8. Celia (ME!) - Estados Unidos  -  Living in Rio
Two more are still in their countries, having trouble with visas, one from Austria and one from Taos, NM. 






No comments:

Post a Comment